Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chickpea and Rice Balls

dry & cooked


I used dried chickpeas for the first time ever and I love them! These dried beans are not easy to find so I’ve always used the canned ones. A lot of these canned goods, although very convenient, are also full of sodium and some even contain sugar and then there are those that have some awful stuff in there too: high fructose corn syrup, msg, etc. So, I took the plunge and now find rinsing, sorting, soaking, and cooking the best way to prepare beans. And it’s really not that much trouble if you remember to soak them overnight. The chickpeas cooked quickly and you can’t beat the flavor of beans that are not chemically messed with before being sealed in a can.


chickpea and rice balls served over pea-sto and steamed rice


2 cups cooked chickpeas

½ small yellow onion, diced

½ - 1 tsp. smoked paprika – this is what makes this so delicious

½ tsp. Herbamare Original Seasoning

¼ tsp. garlic powder

½ cup of cooked short grain rice, cold

Put in FP and blend until thick and smooth.

Taste and adjust seasoning.

Form into balls and put in a heated skillet coated with nonstick spray.

Brown on both sides.

Pea-sto

1 cup peas

5 or so water softened sun-dried tomatoes

good bunch of fresh basil

3 cloves garlic, pressed

pinch of cumin

water to help turn blades

Blend all ingredients until chunky-smooth.

Adjust seasonings to taste.



11 comments:

Cooking With Dia said...

You totally read my mind. I am constantly eating chickpeas. I like making patties out of them with potatoes or rice, sometimes I add a little chili in there. Have you ever made chickpea flour? I have been experimenting with all sorts of flours since I got my mill grinder!

iRaw said...

I love chickpea flour! My goodness, you grind your own? That's awesome!

A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

Looks delicious, they have come perfect. The rice should have made it crispy. Nice one.

miss v said...

nice! i keep a huge quart mason jar of dried chickpeas around all the time. they are awesome for making falafel or sprouts. i love pea-sto!

Yasmeen said...

mmmm...the chickpea balls sound delicious with pea-sto :D

Ann said...

I LOVE this recipe, how creative you are!!

Lisa said...

And just when I was troubling over what to make for dinner tomorrow and I find this! I think I might try a baked version. Lovely!

iRaw said...

Thanks everyone!

Lisa, good idea for baking them. Please let me know how they turn out for you.

Parita said...

This sounds a winner, i love chickpeas but never tried making balls, did u use cooked rice?

iRaw said...

Parita, the rice is cooked. I should fix that in my post. :o)

MEGAN ELOIZ said...

This looks so ridiculously good it's insane.